Christmas Videos: The Ramones, Run-D.M.C., Tom Waits, Max Headroom & Leon Redbone (w/ Dr. John)

I guess the last post probably didn’t get you in the holiday spirit, so here’s a few palette cleansers for you…

The Ramones—“Merry Christmas Baby”

Run-D.M.C.—“Christmas Is”

Tom Waits - “Silent Night/Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis”

Max Headroom—“Merry Christmas Santa Claus”

Leon Redbone & Dr. John—“Frosty The Snow Man”

FYI, Leon Redbone’s Christmas Island, from which this track was taken, always gets plenty of spins from me during the holidays. If you have any favorites (or want to recommend any other Christmas videos), please roll ‘em out in the comments.

Posted by Kevin K. on 12/24/08 at 12:49 PM • Permalink

Categories: MusicMusic VideosYouTubidity

Can someone, anyone, please explain to me the draw of Tom Waits. I. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

Here’s a xmas video y’uns will enjoy as well and it comes to us all the way from Hungary.

Comment by HumboldtBlue on 12/24/08 at 02:05 PM

Waits’ appeal was partly musical, partly projection. For the average white college humanities major, listening to Waits was about as close as you could get to being a jaded beat poet/bohemian—or black—without actually being broke and living on the street. It was also a lot safer than listening to Miles Davis or the later John Coltrane, which transformed more than a few budding accountants into Art Historians and Linguistic Scientists. It was a time, it was a vibe. Perhaps you had to be there. ;->

Peace, Good Will and Whatnot to all the Roasters. “Spirit” seems particularly hard to jump-start this year, but make your best effort…since, next December, we’ll be fighting over cans of creamed corn and using paper money for fuel. This holiday may have to last is a while.

Thanks Strange, I guess I came along too late, because my music collection is nothing other than Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Sara, Duke, Ella, etc.

HB: See, and you turned out fine. You probably even had an occasional encounter with Pharaoh Sanders and Sonny Sharrock without dropping out of pre-med and joining an ashram. But that’s a pretty heady playlist for a generation that was raised on three guitars and a drummer. Dangerous stuff for suburban punks, real terra incognita. Most never got any closer than Becker and Fagan, and the rest went mad. Just look at Kevin K. ;->

I mean, KK’s the only person I know who would have a playlist including Roland Kirk, Buckethead, Man or Astroman, the original Lotte Lenya recordings of Weill, Indonesian gamelan music and the Ramayana Monkey Chant.

Aside from me, of course. And there’s a reason I call myself “Strange.”

Well, thew closest I get to monkey music is watching FOX News, sorts like this fella ...

Comment by HumboldtBlue on 12/24/08 at 04:10 PM

Oh, and it never fails to amaze me just how fucking good Run DMC was.

My favorite. And RIP, Kirsty MacColl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3aoSyYOVs&feature= related

Comment by Kerry Reid on 12/24/08 at 07:12 PM

I’m into Tom Waits because he’s a great lyricist and he’s written some of the best songs ever.  Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes both.  His voice takes some getting used to but he didn’t sing that way on his earlier albums so I got hooked on those first and the growl didn’t bother me once I appreciated his talent.

Comment by Lawnguylander on 12/24/08 at 07:46 PM

Here’s another great one ...

Comment by HumboldtBlue on 12/24/08 at 07:46 PM

Lawnguylander—I like your explanation better. Waits was never a fake, just some of my college pals.

This is a Christmas video of sorts…but only if you’ve ever had Christmas dinner at MY house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5TJApnJ8X8&featu re=related

This one is more (or less) in the spirit of this thread:

Comment by StrangeAppar8us on 12/25/08 at 04:26 PM

Or, if the holidays have driven you insane to the point of human meat consumption, here’s an appropriate moment from Cannibal! The Musical:

Comment by StrangeAppar8us on 12/25/08 at 04:51 PM

Next entry: Squeeze Fox

Previous entry: Ashley Todd attacked *again*!!!