Gloria Allred and 4th Cain sexual harassment victim hold 1:30 PM (ET) news conference—UPDATED x2

Another shoe drops. Luckily for Cain, the GOP has decided that sexual harassment is just a kooky theory, much like evolution and climate change.

UPDATED AND BUMPED: Just saw the conference. Wow. If what the accuser says is true—and she and Allred passed out sworn statements from corroborating witnesses—Cain is guilty of gross sexual harassment, not just an off-color joke. The woman alleges that Cain groped her, and when she objected, he said something to the effect of, “You want a job, don’t you?”

Sheesh. Will post vid when it’s available. One possible lucky break for Cain: a verdict was reached in the trial of Jacko’s quack doctor…

UPDATED X 2: A snippet of video:

Also too, the victim, Sharon Bialek, is a registered Republican and a tea party supporter. Of course, her political affiliation won’t stop Cain’s wingnut defenders from calling her a liberal slut. I hope her granite counters are tidy.

Posted by Betty Cracker on 11/07/11 at 01:11 PM • Permalink

Categories: NewsPoliticsElection '12

Gloria Allred is involved in this? STFU! No way!

I so wanna dismiss Allred as just a high-paid attention-whore uh, getter but dang it, she actually accomplishes things (such as helping send Megs Whitman packing after blowing nearly a hundred mil trying to buy an office). If she can make Hermie squirm and stammer, all the better.

Up to a couple weeks ago I considered him an amusing sideshow to the Republican nomination debacle but now I consider him a predator and power abuser who deserves to have his entire career crushed, not just his toy campaign.

Now that Gloria Allred is involved expect 24/7 coverage. Too bad I can’t watch the press conference. Although, I believe Cain is a non entity and his candidacy will not go anywhere, but the fucker embodies everything that I hate about the wingnuts — callousness combined with an incredible sense of victimhood.

I attended a conference at the end of last week where a psychiatrist explained that people with delusions can be put into two categories: bad-me and poor-me delusions; we don’t need to guess which category Mr. Cain and his fellow winguts fall under.

Yeah, this is no longer just about Cain, it’s about the conduct of those who kneejerk defend him with no basis in fact, and the attitudes it reveals. Last I saw, the polling showed that his standing among male wingers was holding up; among females, not so much.

Whoever this brave woman who’s coming forward is, she’d better have impeccable countertops.

Truly, YAFB.  I’m too well acquainted with the older rethug demographic and while I can be sure the male side finds this stuff to be one more reason to love Cain, I can also be sure it really sets off serious heartburn in the older female rethug demographic.  Afterall, they lived it all their working lives.  And they damned well didn’t like it, but were too scared/prudish/properly-cowed to do anything about it at the time.  They can now though.

For male Republicans (and other males—as a subset of the species, few are blameless), I’d imagine there’s an element of “But I did that and got away with it,” or “You make one fucking gorilla rape joke and the whole world wants a piece of you,” or somesuch where the allegations hit close to home.

For the females, it’d indeed be a range including “Yeah, that happened to me,” and “Hey, that sounds like what my husband said during that ‘spat’ at work that caused so much stress way back when ....”

Six women vote for every five men, last time I looked. And women outlive men, while the GOP skews old. You have to pull a little over one horn0dog off the bench and into the game for every woman you lose.

Cain’s toast. He can’t stand the arithmetic.

Gloria does some good stuff, no doubt. I just have come to believe that it’s dangerous to get between her and a camera when cases like this come up. But yeah—it’s Cain who is the truly objectionable one here.

The accusations are up to 1/2 a Bill Clinton scale.  Not good for a Republican candidate.

Comment by StringOnAStick

Can you explain the democrat female demographic that voted for Bill Clinton who was accused of rape? By the way I agree with you about the female Republican’s not putting up with this behavior.

Despite your rudeness in using “democrat” as an adjective, I will.  Perhaps their sensitivity to issues surrounding harassment and sexual abuse gives them keen discernment when it comes to distinguishing a plausible charge from a bullshit one.

I imagine the difference has something to do with the fact that what Bubba did was between two consenting adults.

Comment by forked tongue on 11/07/11 at 04:07 PM

Forked tongue, you are aptly named.

Comment by Tom65 on 11/07/11 at 04:09 PM

I am going back to Bill’s the first campaign, and his accusurers said otherwise.

I thought Clinton was an effective President who had a few bad skeletons in the closet.

Seems to me this allegation, if true, goes right past harassment to sexual assault. And with the affidavits, truth seems indicated.

Tim, ever heard the term “consenting adults”?  Eh, probably not.

Sexual harassment occurs when one person is not consenting; is this concept foreign to you, or are you one of those black helicopter types who thinks Bill raped his way across the south and Hillary killed her lesbian lover Vince Foster?

What Tom said. I voted for Clinton—twice. I believe he was a serial adulterer and a horn-dog, but there’s a world of difference between groping an unsuspecting woman and indulging in extramarital hanky-panky with a consenting adult.

As for the rape allegation against Clinton, I don’t remember all the details since it was so long ago, but the story was peddled by serial liars in the wingnut media, and IIRC, the accuser changed her story at least a couple of times. I didn’t find it credible.

Tim, ever heard the term “consenting adults”?  Eh, probably not.

Comment by StringOnAStick

StringOnAStick.  Jaunita Broderick and Paula Jones claimed there was no consent.  Much like Sharon Bialek accused Cain with the exception that Cain did finish the deed.

Hard though it may be to believe, there seems to be a troll here who isn’t genuinely interested in getting answers to the questions he asks.

You know, seriously, Cain’s got to realize that one or two might be ignorable, but this is the fourth woman to step up, her allegations are pretty specific, and she’s a REPUBLICAN. He keeps saying it’s an attempt to derail his campaign by the libs. Guess they infiltrated the GOP now?

He’s really got a problem, and it can’t be ignored any more.

What Betty said.

Besides Ginned-up Thomas, and the Herminator’s wife, does any female out there really believe this guy was/is innocent? Will be interesting (okay, not really) to see what happens next—and when/if someone asks Anita Hill what she thinks of all this.

OMG, if you guys haven’t seen “David Koch”‘s comments over on Balloon Juice, check them out. My favorite: “Cain was simply test marketing his 69-69-69 plan.”

Comment by J. on 11/07/11 at 03:50 PM

I balked at somebody describing Tim as a troll when he first turned up here, but yeah, he’s gotten answers and just doesn’t seem to like them, so that’s a threshold.

I don’t give a rat’s arse about what Bill Clinton did or didn’t do way back when. Enough of the Republicans practically (near literally) paralyzed US government for years trying to nail him on these and numerous other charges, so I can’t see how it adds up to a coherent argument about the current allegations anyway. Like Cain himself, Tim is seeking to obfuscate the subject at hand through distraction. It isn’t working, and it’s not going to fly, so give it up and address the current situation.

Also:

Unless you know more about the Bialek allegations than has so far been made public, I’m going to assume you meant to type “didn’t” rather than “did.”

Now go defend what Cain is currently alleged to have done in its own terms, not some spurious “Well, so-and-so did so-and-so, so ....”

Cain will continue to poll well with the wingnut Republicans—more allegations like this will just make him more popular with them. That’s what they do—they specialize in doubling down on everything, and they think pushback from anyone Not Of The Tribe means they’ve just scored a million touchdowns at once.

But the wingnut Republicans are a minority of a minority. And non-fanatic Repubs and non-Republican voters won’t react to stuff like this positively.

Yes, what Bill Clinton did or did not do does not make any difference here.  Herman Cain is the one running for president and credible allegations that he sexually harassed several women have come up. He needs to address those allegations honestly and up to now he hasn’t done that.

Maybe Cain’s really doing all this campaigning in order to jumpstart a literary career; right now we’re getting a taste of the sexytime chapters.

YAFB,

I was replying to the post that said Republican woman would drop Cain based on accusations.
What has happened in the near past elections is relevant because many times it is a good indicator of future events.  Clinton didn’t step down because of allegations but Hillary did go on the network news and “stood by her man” and saved his candidacy.  Most likely Cain’s wife will have to do the same thing.  If she doesn’t turn the tide and Cain is polling very low with women his candidacy is over.  The men over at freerepublic might be high-fiving each other now but they know deep down that they have a problem.  Cain is running as a conservative Republican who is against abortion.  If these allegations are proven true or are believable many conservative women might stay home come election night.
Coming from a state where we have a high conviction rate of politicians I don’t take the stance of defending their actions or dismissing their accusations.  Cain has people on his payroll that will do that for him.
Politics has become a football game and a lot of people line up and defend their side and attack the other regardless of who is right or wrong.  Those people will never change their minds on who they will vote for.
If you still think I am troll this will be my last post.

Cain will continue to poll well with the wingnut Republicans
Looks like he likes to do his own polling.

Promise?
I think Tim is troll.

Tim, Cain doesn’t have a chance in hell of getting the nomination whatever happens with these allegations and his camp’s reaction to them.

Republicans like to talk incessantly about a dual standard between Republicans and Democrats, with Clinton as the usual punchline. Since you follow their lead in insisting on dragging him into this (he’s recent history, really?), the guy got fucking impeached after a long, long chase headed by a serial philanderer who delivered divorce papers to his current wife while she was in a hospital bed.

If you want to talk about recent history, just this year a Dem politician (who I had little time for, but that’s irrelevant) was hounded out of office by Republicans, and he hadn’t even laid a finger on the co-respondents, alleged or otherwise.

You know what makes those two different from Cain at the moment? After a period of denial, they, albeit belatedly, publicly admitted they had a problem with their sexuality and its expression, and whatever you think of it, they both entered therapy in the aftermath. They both also paid a heavy price in terms of reputation (and arguably in the case of Clinton, the rest of the world also paid dearly—how’d the next but one election work out?).

As for “the post that said Republican woman would drop Cain based on accusations,” the tense is inaccurate. The polling I’ve seen shows that is already the trend.

It’s not really something that worries me. If the Repubs run him on the ticket, they’re going to have a heckuva job in the general. Let him hang in there if he can. Meanwhile, the Republican thrashing around is taking up a lot of their energy and doesn’t look too impressive to others.

And now over to Jim Hoft at Gateway Pundit for his reaction:

This is devastating.
Horrible.

Herman Cain Job Plan:

DO NOT WANT!!!

This is devastating.
Horrible.

Maybe he finally realized how fucking awful his “haircut” looks.

I suspect mirrors are always veiled in Hoft’s hovel, HTP.

I’ve just done a trawl of the righty blogs to see how this is all going down. I find it hilarious that they largely think this is a scandal ginned up by teh liberals. Have they looked at the outlets that are covering this most obsessively? We’re just the peanut gallery.

I’ve also learned a lot about what rightwingers seem to think is acceptable sexual etiquette:

Sean Hannity offered up one of the most aggressive attacks on Bialek’s credibility on his radio show on Monday, blaming the entire story on liberals looking to undermine GOP efforts to reach out to black voters.

“There’s nothing here,” he said of the Bialek story. “The lady didn’t even work for the company.”

Lock up your (non-Fox-employed) daughters when Hannity’s on the loose.

As for Limbaugh:

Rush Limbaugh went right into shock-jock mode, joking that Bialek’s name was pronounced “Buy a lick” and then making slurping noises.

Names can be funny like that. Rush Limbaugh’s own name is pronounced “Grotesque Festering Oxygen-thieving Ass Pustule.” *SQUELCH* *SQUELCH* *SQUELCH*

Place your orders for popcorn now:

CNN and ABC News’ Michael Falcone are reporting that Herman Cain, who has said he’s not commenting and it’s the “end of story” several times in the past week, will hold a press conference in Arizona tomorrow to address the latest allegations today, made by Chicago single mom Sharon Bialek.

The press conference is scheduled for 5pm ET.

Meanwhile ...

A former USAID worker claims Herman Cain asked her to set up dinner with a woman who attended a speech he gave in 2002, the Washington Examiner is reporting tonight.

Tim’s what you call a Klingon troll; makes incendiary, Freeper commentary and when called on it he walks it back a bit and then does the ‘poor me, I’m not really a troll’ act.

I doubt his promise to never come back is any more honorable than his postings are, but if it will help - Tim, you are a troll.  Go away.

“Forked tongue, you are aptly named.”

Could be, but anybody who persists in using “democrat” as an adjective is still a dick.

And in related news, Orly Taitz is pitching a shit fit that Gloria Allred isn’t helping her get rid of that scary black man in the WHITE house.

I personally wrote to her, letting her know, that I am a fellow attorney and I am also a doctor, a wife and a mother of three children and I am being persecuted, viciously attacked, slandered by the media and courts because of an inconvenient truth that I bring forward about Obama. I asked Allred, if she, as an attorney fighting for women’s rights, would help me. She refused, stating that she is too busy.
Keep in mind, that in my case, there were multiple death threats, tampering with my car.  Last year on election day, when I ran for the Secretary of State of CA, Chris Mathews from MSNBC who thought I might win the election, appeared in prime time and stated: “Orly Taitz is a malignancy. She needs to be tied up like a witch to the stake. I want you to tie her up like a witch to the stake”
Main stream media outlet and its’ achor were inciting violence against me and afterwords crazy Obama supporters were writing me e-mails, saying that I need to be tied up like a witch and burned at the stake and my body needs to be dragged on the streets. FBI did nothing with my complaints and conveniently my FBI file disappeared. Gloria Allred was too busy. Now she claims, that she is fighting for women’s rights. What a hypocrite!

Cluebat to Dr. Orly.  Your jihad against Obama isn’t a “Woman’s Rights” issue.  It’s a “you’re a nitrous-huffing fruitbat with delusions of humanity” issue.