The Sunday Selector: September 21st, 2008
Haven’t done a Sunday Selector in a good, long time….
Chad VanGaalen—“Molten Light”
(warning: somewhat disturbing imagery)
- John McCain Released From a California Psychiatric Hospital: It’s true because I read it on the internets (or saw it in a McCain ad).
- Fish & Roses EP—Organ-fueled, long-out-of-print underground art skronk from ‘87 ripped from vinyl for your enjoyment. “Booth” is just plain beautiful, “Screwed’s Crude, Screwed” is a blazing jazzbo stomp, and off-kilter oddities like “Have A Nice Day And Fried Rice” are as smile-inducing as they are aurally lopsided. Bonus points: One of the best live songs I’ve ever seen in my life occurred when Fish & Roses joined Yo La Tengo on stage in a strip mall bar in Naugatuck, CT (home of Naugahyde) and utterly blew the Velvet Underground’s “What Goes On” through the roof and up into the stars. I wish you all could have been there.
- Get Your War On—“Sarah Palin and the Rape Kits” ... biting satire done right.
- The BigO’s Bootlegs—The navigation’s a little screwy on this site from Singapore, but check out the left sidebar for some great free bootleg downloads of everyone from Bob Dylan to Elvis Costello to Neil Young to underrated sax master David Murray to Pink Floyd.
- Sarah Palin’s Debates Made Easy 101—“At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between the Republican nominee for vice president, Gov. Sarah Palin, and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.”
If anything else is floating your boat this Sunday, drop a link in the comments. Now excuse me while I go convince my lovely wife Chris what a colossally bad idea it would be to go to Ikea this afternoon. Pray for me.