This can’t be good

From page A12 in The Washington Post comes news that could (and should) be landing on the front page shortly:

Turkish troops and Kurdish guerrillas clashed Monday for the fifth consecutive day in two areas of northern Iraq, the Turkish military said, as senior Iraqi officials warned that a widened and prolonged incursion could lead to serious repercussions for the region.

In a statement, Turkey’s general staff said its forces killed 41 Kurdish guerrillas in fighting Monday, bringing the total killed to 153 since the launch of the biggest Turkish offensive into Iraq since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion. The military also reported two more Turkish troops killed Monday, bringing the total to 17.

“Close combat with the terrorists is continuing in two separate zones,” the Turkish military said, referring to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party or PKK. “The troops in the critical zones of the operation were reinforced and some of the troops were replaced by fresh forces.”

PKK leaders in northern Iraq reported casualty numbers that diverged sharply from the Turkish figures. Mizgin Ahmed, of the party’s 31-member governing council, said that a total of four guerrillas had been killed and two wounded since the incursion began and that PKK forces had killed 81 Turkish soldiers.

Ahmed said Turkish forces had not been able to advance into Iraq beyond their initial push of about three miles. “We have enough numbers to be able to fight their forces,” she said in an interview in PKK-controlled territory near the town of Raniyah in northern Iraq. “We have a right to defend ourselves and we will defend ourselves to the end.”

The guerrillas have long used Iraq’s forbidding mountains to stage attacks in Turkey, first in an attempt to carve a Kurdish state out of Turkey but now largely in the pursuit of Kurdish autonomy. Turkish forces launched the incursion last Thursday following a series of PKK attacks on Turkish soldiers and civilians. For years, Turkey’s government has complained that Iraq’s government was unwilling to contain the PKK, considered a terrorist group by Turkey and the United States.

In Baghdad, national security adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie declared at a news conference Monday that the fighting could have “very serious consequences.”

Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani warned Turkey against any expansion.

“The operations are still limited operations, and the government has expressed its concern,” Bolani said. “If the operation is widened, definitely Iraq will defend its sovereignty and territory.”

He said the United States should do more to encourage the Turks to withdraw. U.S. troops “are the greatest force on the ground. They have certain obligations,” Bolani said. “They could do more.”

Contradicting statements by other Iraqi officials, he said Turkey did not consult with Iraq before launching the operation. “No Iraqi official would agree to an incursion across his borders,” Bolani said.

It’s not like anyone warned the neoconpoops about the potentially disastrous consequences of Turkish/Kurd tensions before this War in Error started.  Sigh.

Posted by Kevin K. on 02/26/08 at 07:02 AM • Permalink

Categories: NewsPoliticsBedwettersWar In Error

Share this post:  Share via Twitter   Share via BlinkList   Share via del.icio.us   Share via Digg   Share via Email   Share via Facebook   Share via Fark   Share via NewsVine   Share via Propeller   Share via Reddit   Share via StumbleUpon   Share via Technorati  

it’s cute when the US tells turkey to settle down/not to defend itself… um…newsflash! that shitstorm is on their actual border…
double sigh…

Page 1 of 1 pages

Sorry, commenting is closed for this post.

Next entry: Lost: The Musical

Previous entry: Bitch is the new attack

<< Back to main